Cleaning All ceramic tiles are stain resistant and require very little maintenance. A basic maintenance program would be to dust mop and spot-mop as necessary, then mop with a cloth-mop and neutral cleaner on a regular basis. However, some tiles will have better dirt hiding capabilities than others, and some will be easier to maintain than others. Dirt hiding capabilities Tiles with texture and multiple colors will hide dust and dirt better than tiles with smooth, monochromatic colors. Slip resistance A ceramic tile surface is more slip resistant than almost any other flooring surface. However, be aware that an abrasive surface will require an occasional deep cleaning. Sealing Glazed ceramic tile floor will never need sealing, waxes or coatings of any kind. Some through body porcelain tiles may; check with the porcelain manufacturer to verify requirements. Sweeping Tracked in dirt is abrasive and can damage your floor tile. Sweep floor regularly to prevent loose dust & abrasive particles from scratching your floor. Sweep floor with a dust mop or vacuum sweeper (without a beater brush or bar). Mopping Mop floor weekly to maintain appearance using a string or cloth-type mop. Sponge mops can streak your floor and shouldn’t be used. Clear water or neutral pH cleaners are recommended for ceramic tile and grout surfaces. Follow manufacturer instructions on cleaning and rinsing for best results. Protect your investment
- Equip furniture legs with felt floor protectors. Dirt and sand imbedded into plastic or wooden legs act as sandpaper as furniture is moved across your floor.
- Place rugs or mats both inside and outside of exterior entryways.
- Place rugs or mats at areas around kitchen sinks and dishwashers to prevent impact damage from dishes and utensils.
- Damaged ceramic tile floor can usually be replaced and restored to original condition if you have extra tile available from your specific shade.
- Purchase several extra pieces to keep on hand for repairs.
- Contact a licensed tile contractor to make the repair.
Never, Never, Never
- Never seal or wax your ceramic tile. These coatings are unnecessary. They will attract and hold dirt on your floor surface.
- Never use vinegar or bleach for regular cleaning. They can adversely affect the tile and grout with continual use.
- Never use steel wool or abrasive cleaners for ongoing maintenance. They can mar your tile surface if used repeatedly.
Keep this in mind Your ceramic tile can be maintained with minimal effort. Follow these basic care and maintenance guidelines and your floor will retain its beauty for years to come. The Marble Institute of America supplied the above information and also offers a brochure on treating spills and stains on stone surfaces. One free copy is available by sending a self-addressed, stamped business size envelope to: Marble Institute of America, 30 Eden Alley, Ste 201, Columbus, Ohio, 43215Learn More About Cleaning Products